Norms in the Margins and Margins of the Norm
The Social Construction of Illegality
- Panel 1: The Ethics of Illegality
Panel organizer: Kedron Thomas (Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology, Washington University in St. Louis, USA)
- Panel 2: Extra Legal Practices in Socialist and Postsocialist States
Panel organizers: Filippo Zerilli (University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy) & Alan Smart (University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
- Panel 3: Legality and Illegality in Contemporary China
Panel organizer: Françoise Lauwaert (Free University Brussels, Brussels, Belgium)
- Panel 4: Illegality and Order in Contemporary Youth Practices and Mobilizations
Panel organizers: Armando Cutolo (University of Siena, Siena, Italy) & Stefano Boni (University of Modena e Reggio Emilia, Modena & Reggio Emilia, Italy)
- Panel 5: Norms, Networks, and Informality in the Global South: Unmapping Urban Space
Panel organizer: Karen Tranberg Hansen (Northwestern University, Evanston, USA)
- Panel 6: The Neoliberal Effect: Normalization, Exclusion and Resistance
Panel organizers: Mathieu Hilgers (Free University Brussels, Belgium) & Benjamin Rubbers (University of Liege, Belgium)
- Panel 7: Blurred Spaces, Negotiable Norms and the Governmentality of Crime: the Case of Italy
Panel organizer: Bjørn Thomassen (The American University of Rome, Rome, Italy).
- Panel 8: Sustainable (il)legalities. Daily Life Interstices of the Law, Chains of Arrangement and Gradients of 'Loss'
Panel organizer: Cristiana Panella (Royal Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren, Belgium)
- Panel 9: The New Museum
Panel organizer: Ciraj Rassool (University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa)
- Panel 10: Beyond Corruption. Practical Norms in Public Services Delivery
Panel organizers: Giorgio Blundo (EHESS, Marseille, France) & Jean-Pierre Olivier de Sardan (LASDEL, Niamey, Niger)
The papers are accessible online for speakers. A password will be sent in due course by e-mail.