Looking for an expert?
The museum provides assistance in assessment of objects and identification of animals from Africa. For reasons of professional ethics, no indication will be given as to the market value of such objects, and no opinion will be expressed as regards the authenticity of the same.
These assessments are generally free of charge.
Only possible by appointment.
- Ethnographic objects from Sub-Saharan Africa:
Every first Wednesday of the month February, April, June, August, October and December.
- Archaeological objects from Sub-Saharan Africa:
- African musical instruments:
Every first Wednesday of the month: in the CAPA building.
- Assessments and consultancy concerning the geology / mineral ressources of Rwanda, Burundi and the D.R. of Congo
On demand and upon payment (see Rules - pdf 67 kb in French) studies can be carried out concerning the geological context of mineral deposits in Central Africa, based on the information available in the archives of the department of Geology.
- Expertise and consultancy regarding natural hazards of geological origin in Central Africa:
- Volcanic hazards: François Kervyn
- Seismic hazards: Damien Delvaux
- Landslide-related hazards: Olivier Dewitte
- Cartography and cartography update of Central Africa:
- Expertise and consultancy concerning the geomorphology of Central and East Africa:
- Identification of animals from Africa:
Only possible by appointment and during office hours.
- mammals: Emmanuel Gilissen
- birds: Jos Snoeks
- reptiles and amphibians: Danny Meirte
- fish: Jos Snoeks
- arachnomorpha - vermes: Didier Van den Spiegel
- diplopoda - crustacea – marine organisms: Didier Van den Spiegel
- acari: Didier Van den Spiegel
- diptera (flies and mosquitoes), hymenoptera (bees and wasps), isoptera, smaller orders: Didier Van den Spiegel
- coleoptera (beetles): Marc De Meyer
- lepidoptera (butterflies), hemiptera: Didier Van den Spiegel
- Analysis of wood, including non-African wood
Identification of the botanical taxon of wooden objects of all kinds. CITES expert assessments are also carried out in this context
- price of an identification : 170€
- price of expert assessment carried out on site : 250 € per day.
The wood samples (preferably with dimensions of 1 cm x 7 cm x 15 cm) can be sent to the RMCA - Laboratory of Wood Biology , Leuvensesteenweg 13, B - 3080 Tervuren (Belgium)
Expert assessments are payable in advance.
These amounts are payable to account no. 679-2007806-03 of the Royal Museum for Central Africa noting “wood analysis”.