The collection comprises about six million specimens and the majority of the insect orders found in Africa are represented.
The geographic emphasis is on the former Belgian colonies (D.R. Congo, Burundi, Rwanda) although for some groups there is a coverage of the whole Afrotropical region. Taxon lists for most groups are available.
The collection includes several historical and reference collections (including extensive holdings of types) such as:
- material obtained through the surveys conducted in the national parks of the former Belgian Colony Congo (Albert, Garamba and Upemba National Parks),
- the Carabidae (Coleoptera) collection of P. Basilewsky
- the ants (Formicidae) from Yangambi collection of Raignier-van Boven
- the termites (Isoptera) collection of A. Bouillon.
Several specimens from all kinds of collections are being digitised and are available online (select phylum Arthropoda for insects).
- Acari: 3,200 species distributed in
- 28,400 microscopic preparations (Acaridida, Actinedida, Mesostigmata, Ixodida)
- and 4,000 tubes (Oribatida, Ixodida).
Acari collection database
- Arachnomorpha (non-Acari): 360,000 specimens, 4,000 identified species, most of them in alcohol
Arachnomorpha collection database
- Coelentera: 2410 lots of specimens, 538 species
Coelentera collection database
- Crustacea: 58,000 lots of specimens, 1,114 species including 5,500 identified, most of them in alcohol
Crustacea collection database
- Echinodermata and other groups of marine animals: over 500 species
Echinodermata collection database
- Mollusca : ± 20,000 lots of specimens, 5,500 species, in alcohol
Mollusca collection database
Digitised specimens in 3D and 2D+ (select phylum 'Mollusca')
- Myriapoda: ± 21,000 lots of specimens, 13,000 species including 4,000 identified, most of them in alcohol
Myriapoda collection database
- Vermes: 36,000 specimens, 1,300 identified species, in alcohol and microscopic preparations
- Other invertebrate groups: ± 20,000 specimens, ± 500 species