Temporary suspension of loans in 2016-2018
The large-scale renovation of the Royal Museum for Central Africa has entered its final phase, and preparations are in full swing for the reopening of the building. As a result of the deadlines imposed by these preparations, the RMCA is obliged to limit external loans. A temporary suspension of such loans will thus be in force from the beginning of 2016 until the reopening of the museum in June 2018. Loan requests that have already been accepted for this period are not affected by this decision. We apologize for the inconvenience and will resume our loan policy mid-2018.
The Royal Museum for Central Africa (RMCA Tervuren) loans objects from its collections to organisations and institutions for temporary exhibitions.
All administrative and practical aspects of the loan of objects from the collections of the department of Anthropology and History are treated by the Division of Collection Management.
Every application needs to be adressed in written form to the Director General of the RMCA Tervuren, at least 6 months before the opening of the exhibition.
Permission for a loan is given in 2 stages:
- the borrower must first obtain an agreement in principle which affirms the willingness to cooperate;
- after this the specific loan of a number of objects will be formalized in the loan contract.
The request for an agreement in principle must be accompanied by the following documents:
(1) a short statement about the nature and purpose of the exhibition
(2) a signed copy of General Loan Conditions for Temporary Exhibitions (pdf - 146 kb)
(3) a facilities report which contains information regarding the conditions in which the objects will be exhibited
(4) a completed information form to be filled out electronically: Information form (doc. - 159 kb)
(5) a provisional list of objects (optional)
Checklist for borrowers (pdf - 73 kb)
Contact Collection Management
- Via e-mail: loan(at)africamuseum.be
- Via surface mail or fax:
Royal Museum for Central Africa
Division of Collection Management
The Loans Secretariat
Tel.: +32 (0)2 76 95 740
Fax: +32 (0)2 76 95 800