Looking for an expert?
- object assessments
- identification of African animals
- identification and dating of wood from around the world
For ethical reasons, no indication will be given as to the market value of such objects, and no opinion will be expressed as regards their authenticity.
Assessments are generally free of charge and by appointment.
This service is not available until the reopening of the museum.
On request and in exchange for payment, assessments and consultancy services can be provided concerning the geological context of mineral sediments in Central Africa, based on the information in our archives.
We carry out assessments and consultancy work concerning:
+32 2 769 56 22
+32 2 769 56 28
- Reptiles and amphibians:
+32 2 769 56 29
+32 2 769 56 28
- Coleoptera (beetles):
Marc De Meyer
+32 2 769 53 60
- Diptera (flies and mosquitoes), hymenoptera (bees and wasps), isoptera, Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths), hemiptera (heteroptera and leafhoppers), smaller orders:
Didier Van den Spiegel
+32 2 769 54 11
We provide independent assessments, not limited to Africa:
- identification of wood for the wood trade and industry (particularly CITES), art history, archaeology, palaeontology, etc.
- wood dating via the study of growth rings.
Cost: 170 €
Cost of expert assessment carried out on site: 250 € per day
Expert analysis fees are payable to the account of the Royal Museum for Central Africa:
with the communication ‘wood analysis’.
Wood samples (preferably measuring 1 cm x 7 cm x 15 cm) should be sent to the address:
Laboratory of Wood Biology
Leuvensesteenweg 13, 3080 Tervuren