Geodynamics and natural resources
***While the museum building will close its doors mid-2013 for
renovation, scientific research will continue at Tervuren.***
Our activities are concentrated in the DRC, Rwanda, Burundi and adjacent regions of Central Africa. In these regions, we are active in the following fields of research:
- the dynamics of geological processes in Africa, especially the deformation mechanisms of the earth's crust,
- the risk factors related to these processes in the geologically active regions,
- the relationship between these geological processes and the emplacement of mineral resources in central Africa.
Most of our research is based on national and international cooperation agreements with scientific institutions, research centres and those active in the mining and oil sectors.
We transfer our knowledge to the scientific community through:
- the promotion of scientific work of Belgian and African geologists in the second and third years of university,
- research projects and scientific publications in collaboration with African geologists,
- training African scientists,
- reinforcing the capacity of partner African institutions.