Mission and organisation
Mission of the RMCA
The Royal Museum for Central Africa must aspire to be a world centre of research and knowledge dissemination on past and present societies and natural environments of Africa, and in particular Central Africa, to foster – among the public at large and the scientific community – understanding of and interest in this area and, through partnerships, to contribute substantially to its sustainable development. Thus the core endeavours of this Africa-oriented institution consist of acquiring and managing collections, conducting scientific research, implementing the results of this research, disseminating knowledge, and mounting selected exhibitions of its collections.
Mission of the museum
The AfricaMuseum is a centre for knowledge and resources on Africa, in particular Central Africa, in an historical, contemporary, and global context. The museum exhibits unique collections. It is a place of memory on the colonial past and strives to be a dynamic platform for exchanges and dialogues between cultures and generations.
The Royal Museum for Central Africa (RMCA) is one of Belgium's ten federal scientific institutes (FSI), under the authority of the Secretary of State for Federal Science Policy.
The museum has some 250 employees, including 80 scientists.
The scientific institute is divided into three departments:
- Cultural Anthropology and History
- Earth Sciences
Management and consultative bodies
It is responsible for the financial, material and administrative management of the institution, and serves the same function for the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences.
Chaired by a representative of the Belgian Federal Science Policy Office, it is made up of four external members (university academics and management experts), the managing directors of each institution, and two representatives of the Belgian Federal Science Policy Office.
Members with voting rights:
- Frank Monteny, Director General, Belgian Federal Science Policy Office, Chairman
- Guido Gryseels, Director RMCA, Vice-Chairman
- Camille Pisani, Director RBINS, Vice-Chairman
- Olivier Ninane, Head of Finance, RBINS
- Jacques de Gerlache, Communications Manager, SOLVAY S.A.
- François Mairesse, Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3
- Ingrid Vanden Berghe, Director General, National Geographic Institute of Belgium
- Koen Verhoest, Professor, University of Antwerp - Department of Political Sciences
Members with advisory rights:
- Pierre de Maret, Chairman of the RMCA Scientific Council
- Yves Gobert, Advisor, Belgian Federal Scientific Policy Office
- Jacques Lust, Secretary – Attaché, Belgian Federal Scientific Policy Office
- Erwin Moeyaert, General Finance Inspector
- Marie-Solange Mukarwema, Accountant, RBINS
- Didier Van den Spiegel, Head of Section, RMCA
- Luc Van Wassenhove, Accountant, RMCA
- Noel Vandenberghe, Chairman of the Scientific Council, RBINS
- Brigitte Lauwaert, Head of Scientific Section, MUMM and RBINS
- Patricia Supply, Director of Support Services, RBINS
- Management Committee meeting December 2018 (pdf, 2.4 Mb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting September 2018 (pdf, 2.9 Mb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting May 2018 (pdf, 3.4 Mb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting February 2018 (pdf, 2.8 Mb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting March 2017 (pdf, 934 Kb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting January 2017 (pdf, 192 Kb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting October 2016 (pdf, 242 Kb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting June 2016 (pdf, 2.4 Mb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting March 2016 (pdf, 247 Kb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting December 2015 (pdf, 229 Kb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting October 2015 (pdf, 233 Kb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting June 2015 (pdf, 242 Kb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting April 2015 (pdf, 296 Kb, in Dutch)
- Management Committee meeting January 2015 (pdf, 541 Kb, in Dutch)
Chairman: Guido Gryseels, Director-General
Members with voting rights:
- Luc André, Head of Department a.i. Earth Sciences
- Els Cornelissen, Head of Department a.i. History and Cultural Anthropology
- Marc De Meyer, Head of Department a.i. Biology
- Isabelle Gérard, Head of Publications and Documentation Section
- Jacky Maniacky, Head of Culture and Society Section
- Didier Van den Spiegel, Head of Biological Data and Collection Management Section
- Bruno Verbergt, Operational Director Public Services
The committee provides opinions on the quality and relevance of the institution's scientific activities.
Half of its members are external experts from Belgian universities and the other half are from the museum's executive scientific staff. The members of the Scientific Council are appointed for a four-year term by the Secretary of State of Belgian Federal Science Policy.
- Pierre de Maret, Professor, Université libre de Bruxelles
- Frans Ollevier, Professor, KU Leuven
- Éric Pirard, Professor, Université de Liège
- Camille Pisani, Director, RBINS
- Noël Vandenberghe, Professor, KU Leuven
- Koen Vlassenroot, Professor, UGent
- Luc André, Head of Department of Earth Sciences
- Els Cornelissen, Head of Department of History and Cultural Anthropology
- Marc De Meyer, Head of Department of Biology
- Jacky Maniacky, Head of Section of Culture and Society
- Patricia Van Schuylenbergh, Head of Section of History and Politics
The committee is responsible for the selection and promotion of statutory scientific staff.
It is chaired by a Federal Science Policy representative and is made up of two external experts from universities and the RMCA's Director-General.
- Robert Van De Walle, President, Belspo
- Guido Gryseels, Director-General, RMCA
- Prof. Sara Geenen, University of Antwerp
- Prof. Caroline Nieberding, Université catholique de Louvain
This committee is an advisory body focusing on well-being at work and working conditions. It is made up of museum staff and workers’ organisations (unions).
- Guido Gryseels, Chairman
- Els Cornelissen
- Marc De Meyer
- Thierry De Putter
- Isabelle Gérard
- François Kervyn de Meerendré
- Kristien Opstaele
- Bruno Verbergt
CGSP – FGTB:
- Valérie Demeulemeester, Federal Secretary
- Éric Warner, RMCA representative and Chairman of the FSI Sector Committee
CSC – Public Services:
- Geert Dewulf, Secretary
- Patricia Van Schuylenbergh, RMCA representative
- Jean-Christophe Vancoppenolle, Permanent Secretary
- Martine Renaux, Federal Secretary
- Murielle Denis
- Wouter Swalus
- Mario Thoilants
- Dirk Verbist
- Mieke Cogge